Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dysmorphic Perspective

I had a long chat with a friend of mine online the other day. We talked about our mental hang-ups with our bodies and "looks" in relation to others. One thing that I hit on and that I've sorta come to figure out in regards to my BDD has been that alot of it stems from my perspective... literally. I've noticed that I have a HUGE dislike of my legs, I believe that they are VERY boyish and not slender enough - alot of that is true but when I take into account my view point things fall into place. An example would be how I see my legs most of the time, alot of the time I'm standing up and viewing them from above, that's one view point. Another has been that I'll spend alot of time looking at my legs in the mirror and from different angles, this has helped me slightly get over a few of my hang-ups with the shape of my legs. I recommended this idea to my friend and she said that it's helped her slightly as well. I'm now trying to view alot of my features in a more three dimensional way and hoping that viewing myself in this light will help me see myself differently.

I've got to admit, I've been pretty depressed lately. I know alot of it stems from feeling like I'm not living up to my potential and I'm not living life the way I feel I want to. I get so down and mired in my negative feelings and it just perpetuates itself, growing more and more painful. I know I need to enact changes in my life but the fear of the unknown seems to have a strangle hold on my psyche.